Meet Infertility Specialist Mohamad Irani, MD, FACOG, TS (ABB)
Dr. Mohamad Irani is a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist.
Call (847) 662-1818 to schedule an appointment with him.
Dr. Mohamad Irani completed his fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York. He is a member of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and a board-certified fellow of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
He received numerous awards for his clinical expertise, surgical skills, and medical research, including the New York Obstetrical Society Resident and Fellow Research Night Awards for outstanding research papers, the Gynecological Society of Brooklyn and Staten Island’s first prize for research, and the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists award for surgical excellence. He was also the recipient of four grants from the Maimonides Research and Development Foundation.
Dr. Irani’s clinical expertise comprises all aspects of reproductive medicine, including IVF, ICSI, preimplantation genetic testing, fertility preservation, egg freezing, ovulation induction, intrauterine insemination, polycystic ovary syndrome, amenorrhea, diminished ovarian reserve, premature ovarian insufficiency, endometriosis, male infertility, recurrent miscarriage, egg donation, and LGBT reproduction. He is a skilled surgeon and performs minimally invasive laparoscopic and hysteroscopic procedures to treat uterine, tubal, and ovarian pathologies.
Dr. Irani has published 39 peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts in prestigious journals such as Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (JCEM), Human Reproduction, Fertility and Sterility, Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics (JARG), Obstetrics and Gynecology, and PLOS ONE. He has also written textbook chapters and authored 85 research abstracts that were presented at national and international scientific meetings such as the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) and the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology. Dr. Irani is an Ad Hoc reviewer for several scientific journals, including Human Reproduction, JARG, Reproductive Biomedicine Online, Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, and JCEM. He also reviews abstracts submitted to the annual scientific meetings of ASRM and Society for Reproductive Investigation.
“I am excited to have joined the team at the Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago. My goal is to provide compassionate and individualized clinical care while using the state-of-the-art medical technology available at the Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago. I look forward to helping patients preserve their fertility and reach their dream of parenthood”.
Dr. Irani sees patients at the Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago offices located in Chicago, Gurnee, and Crystal Lake. For more information or to make an appointment call 847-662-1818.
Faculty of Medical Sciences
Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
Infertility Fellowship Training
Weill Cornell Medical College
New York, NY
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Irani M, Canon C, Robles A, Maddy B, Gunnala V, Qin X, Zhang C, Xu K, Rosenwaks Z. No effect of ovarian hyperstimulation and oocyte yield on euploidy and live birth rates: an analysis of 12,298 trophectoderm biopsies. Human Reproduction. 2020 In Press
- Nasioudis D, Minis E, Irani M, Kreines F, Witkin S, Spandorfer S. Insulin-like growth factor-1 and soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase-1 prospectively predict canceled IVF cycles. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. 2019;36(12),2485-2491.
- Irani M, Zaninovic N, Rosenwaks Z, Xu K. Morphological grading and blastocyst development rate but not maternal age at retrieval influence the viability of euploid embryos. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2019;220(4),379.e1-379.e7
- Parrella A*, Irani M*, Keating D, Chow S, Rosenwaks Z, Palermo G. The proportion of nuclear mature oocytes affects ooplasmic competence of metaphase-II in relation to implantation and live birth with ICSI. Reproductive BioMedicine Online. 2019;39(4),580-587 (*co-first authors)
- Irani M, Zaninovic N, Rosenwaks Z, Xu K. Does maternal age at retrieval influence the implantation potential of euploid blastocysts? Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019;220(4):379e1-379e7.
- Elder S, Irani M, Nasioudis D, Witkin S, Spandorfer S. Circulating Levels of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor at the Start of an IVF Cycle and Association with Subsequent Pregnancy Loss Differ Between Black and White Women. Journal of Reproductive Medicine. 2019;64(9-10); 335-338.
- Gunnala V, Fields J, Irani M, D’Angelo D, Xu K, Schattman G, Rosenwaks Z. BRCA carriers have similar reproductive potential at baseline to noncarriers: comparisons in cancer and cancer-free cohorts undergoing fertility preservation. Fertility and Sterility. 2019;111(2):363-371.
- Kreines FM, Nasioudis D, Minis E, Irani M, Witkin SS, Spandorfer S. IL-1B predicts IVF outcome: a prospective study. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2018; 35(11):2031-2035.
- Irani M, O’Neill C, Palermo G, Xu K, Zhang C, Qin X, Zhan Q, Clarke R, Ye Z, Zaninovic N, Rosenwaks Z. Blastocyst development rate influences implantation and live birth rates of similarly graded euploid blastocysts. Fertility and Sterility. 2018;110(1):95-102.
- Irani M, Zaninovic N, Canon C, O’Neill C, Gunnala V, Zhan Q, Palermo G, Reichman D, Rosenwaks Z. A rationale for biopsying embryos reaching the morula stage on day 6 in women undergoing preimplantation genetic testing for aneuploidy. Human Reproduction. 2018;33(5):935-941.
- Irani M, Nasioudis D, Witkin S, Gunnala V, Spandorfer S. High serum IGF-1 levels are associated with pregnancy loss following frozen-thawed euploid embryo transfer cycles. Journal of Reproductive Immunology. 2018;127:7-10.
- Irani M, Chow S, Keating D, Elder S, Rosenwaks Z, Palermo G. Optimizing the first-line fertility treatment. Gynecological Endocrinology. 2018;34(9):742-746.
- Irani M, Robles A, Gunnala V, Chung P, Rosenwaks Z. Unilateral pleural effusion as the sole clinical presentation of severe ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome: a systematic review. Gynecological Endocrinology. 2018;34(2):92-99.
- McLaren R, Bayya J, Irani M. A 34-week size uterus with a complete hydatidiform mole: hook effect and severe anemia with no vaginal bleeding. Case report in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2018; 8201949.
- Irani M, Robles A, Gunnala V, Reichman D, Rosenwaks Z. Optimal parameters for determining the LH surge in natural cycle frozen-thawed embryo transfers. Journal of Ovarian Research. 2017;10(1):70.
- Zaninovic N, Irani M, Meseguer M. Assessment of embryo morphology and developmental dynamics by time-lapse microscopy: Is there a relation to implantation and aneuploidy? Fertility and Sterility. 2017;108(5):722-729.
- Gunnala V, Irani M, Melnick A, Rosenwaks Z, Spandorfer S. 1,078 autologous IVF cycles in women 45 years and older: The largest single center cohort to date. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics. 2018;35(3):435-440.
- Irani M, Reichman D, Robles A, Melnick A, Davis O, Zaninovic N, Xu K, Rosenwaks Z. Morphological grading of euploid blastocysts influences implantation and ongoing pregnancy rates. Fertility and Sterility. 2017;107(3):664-670.
- Irani M, Seifer DB, Grazi RV, Irani S, Rosenwaks Z, Tal R. Vitamin D decreases serum VEGF correlating with clinical improvement in vitamin D-deficient women with PCOS: A randomized placebo-controlled trial. Nutrients. 2017;9;334.
- Irani M, Robles A, Gunnala V, Spandorfer S. Unilateral salpingectomy and methotrexate are associated with similar recurrence rate of ectopic pregnancy in patients undergoing IVF. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2017; 24(5):777-782.
- Ndubizu C, McLaren R, McCalla S, Irani M. Recurrent cesarean scar ectopic pregnancy treated with systemic methotrexate. Case report in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2017; 9536869.
- Gunnala V, Melnick A, Irani M, Reichman D, Schattman G, Davis O, Rosenwaks Z. Analysis of Sliding Scale HCG for Reduction of Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome in 10,427 IVF-ICSI cycles. PloS One. 2017;12(4):e0176019.
- Irani M, McLaren R, Savel R, Bogatyryova, Khoury-Collado F. Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome occurring in the third trimester of pregnancy: A case report. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research. 2017;43(10):1639-1643.
- Gunnala V, Pereira N, Irani M, Lilienthal D, Pirog E, Soslow R, Caputo T, Elias R, Kligman I, Rosenwaks Z. Novel fumarate hydratase mutation in siblings with early onset uterine leiomyomas and hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell cancer syndrome. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology. 2018; 37(3):256-261.
- Irani M, Prabakar C, Nematian S, Julka N, Bhatt D, Bral P. Patient perceptions of open, laparoscopic, and robotic gynecological surgeries. BioMed Research International. 2016; 4284093
- Irani M, Elias RT, Pereira N, Gunnala V, Rosenwas Z. Abdominal ectopic pregnancy with undetectable serum β-human chorionic gonadotropin 9 days following blastocyst transfer. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research. 2016; Dec;42(12):1886-1888.
- Pereira N, Chung ER, Irani M, Chung PH, Zarnegar R, Rosenwaks Z. Incarcerated omental hernia at a 5-mm trocar site after laparoscopy: case report and review of the literature. Journal of Reproductive Medicine. In press.
- Pereira N, Hutchinson AP, Irani M, Chung ER, Lekovich JP, Chung PH, Zarnegar R, Rosenwaks Z. 5-millimeter trocar-site hernias after laparoscopy requiring surgical repair. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology. 2016; May-Jun;23(4):505-11.
- Irani M, Fisher N, Mor A, Bensinger G. Urinary retention and syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) secondary to impacted gravid uterus. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research. 2016 Jun;42(6):734-737.
- Irani M, Seifer DB, Grazi R, Julka N, Bhatt D, Kalgi B, Irani S, Tal O, Messerlian G, Tal R. The effect of vitamin D on the clinical and metabolic parameters in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: A randomized placebo-controlled trial. Journal of clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015; 100(11):4307-14.
- McLaren R, McCalla S, Irani M. Conservative management of cesarean scar ectopic pregnancy with fetal heart activity and a very high β-hCG. Case report in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015;959876.
- Irani M, Deering S. Challenges Affecting Access to Cesarean Delivery and Strategies to Overcome Them in Low-Income Countries. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2015; 131(1):30-34.
- Mor A, Tal R, Irani M, McCalla S, Haberman S, Garg D, Wajntraub B. Carcinoembryonic antigen as a biomarker for meconium-stained amniotic fluid. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2015;132(3):329-31.
- Garg D, Lim T, Irani M. A rare Case of Fatal Stroke after Ethylene Glycol Toxicity. BMJ Case report. 2015, Mar 25;2015.
- Mor A, Gat I, Tal R, Irani M, Golan H. The Molecular Mechanisms of Magnesium Neuroprotection in Patients with Eclampsia: A Short Review. British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research. 2015
- Mor A, Tal R, Haberman S, McCalla S, Irani M, Perlman J, Seifer D, Minkoff H. Alpha-Fetoprotein as a Tool to Distinguish Amniotic Fluid From Urine, Vaginal Discharge, and Semen. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015;125(2):448-52.
- Irani M, Merhi Z. Role of vitamin D in ovarian physiology and its implications in reproduction: a systematic review. Fertility and Sterility. 2014;102(2):460-468
- Irani M, Minkoff H, Seifer DB, Merhi Z. Vitamin D Increases Serum Levels of the Soluble Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products in Women with PCOS. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2014; 99(5), E886-90.
- Merhi Z, Irani M, Doswell A, Ambroggio J. Follicular fluid soluble receptor for Advanced Glycation End-Products (sRAGE): A potential indicator of ovarian reserve. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2014; 99(2), E226-233.
- Irani M, Tal R, Seifer DB, Grazi R. Successful same-cycle blastocyst transfer following laparoscopic ovarian detorsion: Report of two cases and literature review. Case report in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2014:806378.
Irani M, Pfeifer S. Treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism in the infertile female. Emerging Topics in Reproduction, Volume 5. Douglas T. Carrell, Peter Schlegel, Catherine Racowski, and Alan Decherney (Eds.). Wiley. 2018
Irani M, Merhi Z. Association between vitamin D and anti-Müllerian hormone. Anti-Müllerian Hormone: Biology, Role in Ovarian Function and Clinical Significance. David B. Seifer and Reshef Tal (Eds.). Nova Science (New York). 2016