PGD and IVF Costs - What is the cost for preimplantation genetic diagnosis and/or PGS (preimplantation genetic screening)?
Page author Richard Sherbahn MD
Preimplantation genetic diagnosis involves testing done on embryos from in vitro fertilization prior to transferring to the uterus. The testing is done to check for a specific genetic abnormality (a disease like cystic fibrosis), or, more commonly, to determine if the embryos are chromosomally normal (aneuploidy screening, PGS).
There are several variables involved in the cost of PGD
- The cost of in vitro fertilization at the PGD clinic
- The cost of IVF medications
- Embryo biopsy procedure costs at the PGD clinic
- Chromosomal and/or genetic analysis costs - the PGD testing
Average preimplantation genetic testing costs in the US
- IVF costs - in the US the average cost for IVF with ICSI is about $12,000 to $13,000
- The average cost for in vitro fertilization medications is $3000 to $4000
- Embryo biopsy charges are about $1000 to $2500
- Embryo freezing costs are usually between $500 to $1000
- Aneuploidy testing (for chromosome normality) with PGD is $1800 to $5000
- For single gene defects (such as cystic fibrosis), there are additional costs involved.
||Average PGS IVF Costs
|Price at Our Clinic
|IVF-ICSI with fresh transfer cost
|IVF medication costs
|Embryo biopsy cost
|Embryo freezing cost
|PGS test cost
|FET cycle cost
|IVF PGS cycle with one FET included
|$20,000 + meds
||$16,000 + meds
- IVF with preimplantation genetic testing (with meds) and a subsequent frozen embryo transfer usually costs about $16,000 - $25,000 in the US
- This is depends on the cost of the in vitro fertilization and also on the amount of medications needed for IVF ovarian stimulation
- Since in vitro fertilization pricing varies between IVF-PGD centers and because the dose of meds for IVF varies, the total cost for IVF and preimplantation genetic testing will vary
- The biggest variables with PGD costs for a self-pay patient (no IVF insurance coverage) are the cost of in vitro fertilization and IVF medication costs
IVF medication costs are determined by how the ovaries respond to the drugs.
Insurance coverage for IVF and PGD
Some couples have insurance coverage for in vitro fertilization. However, it is rare for insurance to cover chromosomal or genetic testing(PGS or PGD) in our experience.
IVF/ICSI cycle with day 5 embryo biopsy and PGS
When insurance covers all costs for IVF/ICSI and frozen transfer cycle
Package cost - $3,800 + meds
- Trophectoderm biopsy of the embryos (day 5/6)
- Vitrification (freezing) of the embryos
- PGS testing by Genesis Genetics - (courier fee and PGS testing)
- *PGD testing for a single gene disorder has additional fees*
- Any embryo storage beyond 1 year is billed additionally
IVF success rates and PGD
Another concern with preimplantation genetic diagnosis costs is the IVF success rate of the clinic doing the in vitro procedures. This is something couples that do PGD testing may not think about.
- If the IVF clinic has low success rates, then an unsuccessful cycle even at a low cost does not get the couple the desired outcome for a lower cost.
- Consumers of infertility services in the US have a huge benefit in the SART and CDC IVF success rates reports
- Every year these reports are published on the web and detail individual IVF clinic success rates by age
- These reports allow couples considering IVF (with or without PGD) to check success rates of nearby clinics before deciding which clinic to use.
- A clinic that charges 25% less but has a 50% lower success rate is not a bargain
Costs for preimplantation genetic screening with trophectoderm biopsy
- There are additional fees involved with trophectoderm biopsy because it is a 2 step process
- The embryos must be frozen with this technique because current technology requires about 24 hours for turn-around of test results - too long for a fresh transfer